2016

2016 Annual Meeting

Our season begins with a very special event on Sunday, April 17. At 3PM we'll hold our annual meeting at the Town Hall Meeting Room. Then we're all invited to cross the street for an Open House/Tour of the Samuel Rockwell House.

Samuel Rockwell House

The original part of the house was built in 1766, making this year its 250th birthday! Samuel Rockwell was one of the founders of Colebrook and a militia captain during the American Revolution. His home was the principal meeting place for conducting the business of the town and the church, and for many social events. Its current caretakers, Mark and Susan Caufield, have lovingly and painstakingly restored the house to its true historical glory. You won't want to miss this rare opportunity to literally walk through Colebrook's storied past.

ROCK SCHOOL CLASS on the Rock - circa 1895


 

ROCK SCHOOL - 1913

This is a postcard of The Rock School postmarked in
Bantam, Conn. on June 5, 1913 at 7PM with a one cent stamp.

 
A Graphic Review of 2015 at CHS

Veterans Day, November 11, 2015 — WW2 Colebrook Honor Roll

Ice Cream Social 2015

Coptic Book Collection

Open for Business

 
A Graphic Review of 2014 at CHS
Open House - Tools Exhibit Photos Rock School Day 2014 - Photos

 

SILENT AUCTION
OPEN HOUSE

 

 

The Seymour Inn ~ 1816
Home to The Colebrook Historical Society, Colebrook, Conn.

See what you're missing at CHS?

  
Search the CHS Website

The Colebrook Historical Society was founded in 1953 by a group of dedicated individuals who realized the benefits that such a society could make to the community.  The collections housed within the museum in the center represent various aspects of life in Colebrook from the mid-1700ís to the present.  Virtually every item was used or made in town, or has been donated by a Colebrook resident.

The Society owns the Rock Schoolhouse, located at the intersection of Sandy Brook Road and Colebrook Road.  This building, erected in 1779, and used until 1911, is perhaps the only colonial schoolhouse in the state that is essentially in its original state; it has never been electrified, nor has it ever had running water or indoor plumbing.  It is used as a learning facility by the Colebrook Consolidated School, and is open to the public on selected weekends or by request.


Colebrook Historical Society ~ P.O. Box 85 ~ Colebrook, Connecticut 06021  -  Site Updated Tuesday, 04 December 2012

Welcome Home  l  Bob's "Bytes of History"  l  Meet CHS  l  Colebrook  l  Get in Touch  l  Map  l  Links  l  Feedback