Greetings & Welcome...
purpose of this letter is to make ourselves known to new residents, or
to those who have been here for some time, but with whom we have failed to
The Colebrook Historical Society was founded in 1953 by a group of
dedicated individuals who realized the benefits that such a society could
make to the community. The collections housed within the museum in the
center represent various aspects of life in Colebrook from the mid-1700ís to
the present. Virtually every item was used or made in town, or has been
donated by a Colebrook resident.
The building itself was built as an inn in 1816, and was so used until
the early 1940ís. The Colebrook Town Hall was located on one half of the
first floor from 1953 until 2003, when the new buildings centered on the old
Gray Barn were occupied. The Historical Society is now the only tenant.
Society owns the Rock Schoolhouse, located at the intersection of Sandy
Brook Road and Colebrook Road. This building, erected in 1779, and used
until 1911, is perhaps the only colonial schoolhouse in the state that is
essentially in its original state; it has never been electrified, nor has it
ever had running water or indoor plumbing. It is used as a learning
facility by the Colebrook Consolidated School, and is open to the public on
selected weekends or by request.
Our season currently begins with Memorial Day and ends on Columbus Day
Weekend, but our intention is to remain open throughout the year to better
serve the public. There are usually changing featured topics displayed at
the museum during the course of our season, some of which are authored by
Our genealogy department is quite extensive, especially for families
associated historically with Colebrook, and are consulted fairly often by
people from all over the United States. On the days that we are open, two
volunteers from our membership man the museum. They will answer questions
and act as guides to visitors.
look forward to your visit!